Plastic can clips, also known as can carriers or can handles, are widely used for bundling and carrying canned beverages. In the world of packaging, sustainability has become a driving force behind consumer choices. With growing environmental concerns, the choice between cardboard and plastic can clips can have a significant impact on our planet. At UPAC, we take pride in manufacturing cardboard can clips designed to keep 2, 4, or 6 cans together.
Cardboard can clips can be beneficial for a variety of businesses and industries that deal with canned products or beverages. Here are some examples of businesses that could benefit from using cardboard can clips:
- Beverage Manufacturers: Companies that produce canned beverages such as fizzy/still drinks, beer, or canned water can use cardboard can clips to bundle their products for easier handling and storage.
- Breweries: Breweries often package their craft beers in cans. Cardboard can clips can help organise and display their beer products in a visually appealing way.
- Food Producers: Food manufacturers that can vegetables, fruits, or soups can use can clips to bundle multiple cans together, creating convenient packaging for consumers.
- Grocery Stores: Retailers can use can clips to create multipacks of canned goods, making it easier for customers to purchase items in bulk.
- Event and Catering Services: Businesses that provide catering services or host events can use can clips to streamline the distribution of canned beverages to guests.
- Convenience Stores: Convenience stores can use can clips to create promotional packages or special offers that encourage customers to purchase multiple cans at once.
- Online Retailers: E-commerce businesses that sell canned products can use can clips to ensure that cans remain secure and well-organised during shipping.
- Wholesalers and Distributors: Companies that distribute canned products to retailers or businesses can use can clips to package and transport cans efficiently.
- Caterers and Food Trucks: Businesses in the food service industry can use can clips to organise canned ingredients used in their recipes.
- Subscription Box Services: Subscription box companies that include canned products in their offerings can use can clips to package and present items attractively to subscribers.
In this blog, we’ll explore why choosing cardboard can clips over plastic ones is a responsible and eco-conscious decision.
1. Eco-Friendly Material:
Cardboard: Cardboard can clips are made from a renewable and biodegradable resource—paper. Cardboard is easily recyclable and can be sourced from sustainably managed forests. Choosing cardboard can clips reduces your carbon footprint and supports responsible forestry practices.
Plastic: Plastic can clips are typically made from non-renewable fossil fuels. Plastic production contributes to pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. Moreover, plastic waste can persist in the environment for hundreds of years, causing harm to wildlife and ecosystems. It’s been reported that every year, around 18 billion pounds of plastic flows into the ocean.
Cardboard: Cardboard can clips can be easily recycled alongside cardboard boxes and paper products. Recycling cardboard reduces the demand for virgin materials and minimises waste.
Plastic: While plastic can be recycled, the recycling process is often less efficient, and not all plastic can be recycled. As a result, a significant amount of plastic waste ends up in landfills and oceans, posing a long-term environmental threat. Greenpeace and Everyday Plastic, estimate that the UK throws out nearly 100 billion pieces of plastic a year.
Cardboard: Cardboard can clips are biodegradable, meaning they naturally break down into organic materials over time. This ensures that if they end up in the environment, they won’t persist as long-lasting pollution.
Plastic: Plastic can clips do not biodegrade. Instead, they fragment into microplastics, which can be harmful to wildlife and ecosystems and may enter the food chain, posing potential health risks. Scientists have described microplastics as a kind of “plastic soup,” and studies say that anywhere from 15 to 50 trillion pieces of microplastic are in the ocean.
4. Consumer Perception:
Cardboard: Consumers are increasingly seeking sustainable and eco-friendly packaging options. Using cardboard can clips sends a positive message to environmentally conscious customers, enhancing your brand’s image.
Plastic: Plastic packaging is increasingly seen as a contributor to pollution and environmental degradation. Choosing plastic can clips may deter eco-conscious consumers and result in a negative brand image. In fact, one recent report revealed that certain categories of products with sustainability claims showed twice the growth of their traditional counterparts.
Cardboard: Cardboard can clips are a cost-effective choice, offering functionality at a competitive price point.
Plastic: Plastic can clips may be more expensive due to the production of plastic resin and the environmental costs associated with plastic waste.
Furthermore, At UPAC Packaging, we understand the significance of branding even in the smallest details, which is why we offer customers branded cardboard can clips. Branding your cardboard can clips instantly elevates your brand image. It transforms an ordinary packaging accessory into a powerful brand ambassador. When customers see your logo or brand colors on can clips, it can reinforce your professionalism and attention to detail. Branded can clips are therefore a subtle yet effective marketing tool, serving as miniature billboards for your brand, whether they’re in use by customers or sitting on store shelves.
In conclusion, choosing cardboard can clips over plastic ones is a responsible and sustainable choice. It reduces environmental impact, supports recycling efforts, and aligns with consumer preferences for eco-friendly packaging. As we move towards a more sustainable future, making the switch to cardboard can clips is a small but significant step in the right direction. At UPAC, we’re committed to providing packaging solutions that prioritise sustainability and the well-being of our planet. Make the change today and join us in embracing eco-conscious packaging choices.
Call us to find out more information:
0141 530 5555